About Mysore Practice
WHAT IS MYSORE PRACTICE?
Mysore is the traditional method for learning the Ashtanga practice in Mysore, India. In the Mysore method, each student has an individualized practice which is developed and overseen by the teacher. Postures are learned one by one and as they are mastered, the student gradually builds a personal practice. During Mysore, students of all levels practice at their own pace and the instructor is available to help with the postures by means of hands on adjustments and reminding students of sequencing. A Mysore practice is developed slowly over time so that the student is able to memorize sequencing and the body is able to adapt to the postures. A common misconception about the Mysore practice is that you need to know the Primary Series to attend. Mysore is appropriate for beginners as well as students of all levels and is the traditional method of learning yoga, one on one from teacher to student.
We recommend that students make a commitment to a minimum of 2 mysore classes per week, therefore we do not allow local students to drop-in to Mysore, they must purchase a package. Students from out of town with a daily Mysore practice may purchase a drop-in.
MYSORE PACKAGE OPTIONS:
- 8 Mysore Classes/60 day exp – $96
- Unlimited Guided & Mysore Classes/30 day exp – $150
we ask that students make a commitment to 2 mysore classes per week
- Unlimited Guided & Mysore Classes w/ Auto-Pay – $135
due on the first of the month; 3 month contract; no discounts apply
20% discount for FULL TIME students with valid ID (no discount on Auto Pay Package)
MAKE PURCHASE HERE (Log In and go to ONLINE STORE)
IF YOU ARE NEW TO MYSORE PRACTICE:
The most ideal way to get started is to attend our Intro to Mysore Workshop + One Month Unlimited Mysore which is held once a month (see Events). If this is not an option, we ask that interested students come in and observe a mysore class to get an idea of the rhythm of the room. The teacher can then talk to you about getting started. New students must commit to one month of regular practice to get the full benefits of practicing Mysore.
CLASS TIME & ARRIVAL:
The official start time of Mysore listed on the schedule (that is when the instructor arrives.) New students should arrive when the instructor arrives. Students who need to get an earlier start may arrive as early as 6:00am Monday-Thursday once they are familiar with sequencing.
There are no Mysore classes on New and Full Moon Days. Please check the Moon Day schedule in the studio or on the website.
There is no one at the front desk in the early morning, therefore, paying online is the best option or leaving a check. The instructor can make change or run a credit card before or after class if needed. Please DO NOT leave the studio if you owe for class. Only students from out-of-town with a regular Mysore practice will be allowed to pay for a drop-in class.
- Please respect the student-teacher relationship and follow any request from your teacher.
- Please do not add or skip any postures from the traditional Ashtanga sequence unless acknowledged or requested by your teacher.
- Please do not take any new postures unless agreed upon with your teacher.
- Personal hygiene is an integral part of practicing yoga. Please ensure that you and your clothing and mat are clean.
- Practice with care and consideration towards yourself and others. Respect your limits and acknowledge that your body and mind will feel different every day.
- Please be mindful of other students practicing by keeping talking to a whisper and walking softly throughout the studio and in the staircase.